Most of our members were automatically enrolled in the Smart Pension Master Trust (the scheme) by an employer, rather than signing up themselves.
There are two situations where you might manually join the scheme:
- You weren't automatically enrolled by your employer, but you want to join the scheme and contribute to your pension anyway. In this situation you would opt in to or join the scheme.
- You left the scheme after you were enrolled by your employer, but would like to start contributing now. This is known as rejoining. You can ask to rejoin at any time, but your employer might not accept this request if you leave and try to rejoin multiple times in a twelve-month period
Joining the scheme
The way you rejoin or opt in to the scheme are the same.
- Sign in and go to the Account tab, at the top right of the page.
- Select Manage membership from the drop down menu.
- Click the I wish to opt in button on the manage membership page.
- A pop up will appear. Type "I wish to opt in" in the box, to confirm you'd like to rejoin or opt in to your workplace pension.
- Finally, click on the I understand the consequences button. This will inform your employer you need to be opted into or rejoin the scheme.